Friday, December 9, 2011

Arabesque Style EBW December Challenge


Etsy Beadweavers December Challenge


This month's challenge really had us thinking outside the box!  Arabesque is an ornamental design style consisting of interwoven vines, flowers, leaves and geometric forms, often combined with other motifs. Motifs in Persian art can be a paisley, a geometric shape, a horse, lion, or flower. Western art motif examples include acanthus, egg and dart, and fleur de lis. Arabesque patterning is used in Persian rugs, tilework, medieval manuscripts, embroidery patterns and architecture.






Obviously, I took the Paisley theme and ran with it!  At the heart of this bold brooch is a twining vine embossed clay tile captured by a peyote beaded bezel. Surrounding the tile is a circle of tiny bronze Swarovski pearls, gold rainbow seed beads and some maroon czech glass pearls scalloped with tiny size 15 seed beads in olive green, gold luster ruby and iris bronze. An olivine crystal rivoli winks from the center of the brooch flanked by some czech glass bronze leaves. A row of olivine Swarovski marquerite and little Swarvoski crystal bicones punctuate the rest of the paisley design. Metallic copper seed beads and a delicate picot edge finishes the brooch to perfection. The brooch is 5" long and 3" across and is backed with tan ultrasuede and a gold plated 1.5" pin.

I love bead embroidery and have only been doing it for less than two years.  It's an incredibly free-form medium compaired to bead weaving.  I will usually start with an idea for either a cuff, a collar or a brooch.  Then I find at least one focal piece and gather up as many bits and pieces of pearls, czech glass, crystal and coordinating seed beads as I have.  Once I bezel the main focal I just start adding elements.  I know it sounds kinda woo~woo but I really just let the piece speak to me and show me the direction it wants to go.  Bead by bead a design takes shape.  I recently joined the new Etsy Bead Embroidery Guild and am working hard on a piece for their challenge "Winter Wonderland", so stay tuned! 

So stop by http://etsy-beadweavers.blogspot.com/2011/12/voting-for-december-challenge-arabesque_08.html and take a look at all the stunning creations submitted for this theme and vote for your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment