Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pucci Collar Redux

Pucci Inspired Bib Necklace by Beadn4fun
I've been "seriously" beading for about 10 years now.  And in all that time, this Pucci Inspired Bib Necklace is the piece that has garnered the most recognition for Beadn4fun.  I created this wonderful piece of wearable art for the Etsy Beadweaver's March 2011 Challenge "Fashion through the Ages". Having been born in the 60's, I remember the Flower Power Generation and the bright groovy colors and designs that were so popular in the 60's-70's so I used Pucci, one of the most iconic fashion designers of the time as my inspiration. 

I was beyond thrilled when I was contacted by someone wanting to purchase this piece at long last!  I've sold dozens of pieces from my Etsy shop and on my own, but never a "big" statement piece like this.  I guess I even wondered if there was a market for such a thing and whether I could play in that market.  But of course it couldn't be a simple as someone loving and buying the piece as is, no muss, no fuss, cash in hand.  Toss in a language barrier from a customer half way around the world, and the difficulty I have in taking a firm stand on my art and its worth...and I had a bit of a panic.  She said she wanted the necklace "lengthened" and I said easy peasy how long do you need it (assuming she meant around her neck).  Well after a couple art sessions where we sent drawings back and forth, I finally figured out that she indeed wanted the front bib part of the necklace or "the drop" longer.  A total of 10" instead of 6".  Yipes. 

 It took me the better part of an evening to figure how I might acheive that and how much I would charge to make that significant a change.  And that was only after I allowed myself to think it was OK to basically make this finished piece into something completely different.  Well, I knew I had to take the backing and edging off to start with.  
 
Then I drew the addition onto a piece of stiffened felt (my bead embroidery medium of choice), and began beading the addition using all the original colors (size 11 Czech opaques) in the same patterns.  With that finished I needed to join the original backing with the new backing and complete the beading to make it look seamless.
There was only a small gap between the original and the addition, but that was easily covered with more beading.  Then I recovered the entire back with a layer of interfacing and tan ultra-suede and did the edge beading (a variety of a brick stitch with size 8 white beads). 
I had originally had a beaded "chain" for around the neck, but I needed to make it just a little more substantial for all that extra weight.  So I redid the single chain into a modified right angle weave triple "chain" and reattached it to the closure I had made and the edge beading on the bib.  
Pucci Inspired Bib Necklace Redux!

And with a huge sigh of relief, I created a pair of earrings to match.
So my Pucci Inspired Collar has been transformed and is making its way to Saudi Arabia to a happy girl who I shamelessly tried to set up with my still single son.  I'll keep you posted!  On the collar, that is.  ;~)



No comments:

Post a Comment